Always used to think that MIDI music was ugly? Think again:
The above file has been recorded with Arachno SoundFont. Now, listen to the same file using the MIDI synthesizer currently setup on your computer:
Liked the results? Download Arachno SoundFont now, either in sfArk compressed format (78,7 MB, if you can decompress sfArk files) or in plain SF2 decompressed format (136 MB, if you can't use sfArk on recent versions of Mac OS X ou Linux) and listen to your MIDI files with a new ear! The two versions (sfArk/SF2) are exactly the same, except from the compression format.
If you don't own any SoundFont-compatible soundcard, you can use free software synthesizers like SynthFont, BASSMIDI Driver, CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth, AIMP or VideoLAN VLC Media Player to listen to MIDI music using Arachno SoundFont.
Arachno SoundFont has been primarily built to enhance the MIDI music of these old video games you played and loved. Examples include many games from:
- id Software/Raven Software (Robert C. Prince, Lee Jackson, Kevin Schilder...):
- Apogee/3D Realms (Robert C. Prince, Lee Jackson...):
- Duke Nukem 3D (listen to E1L1: Hollywood Holocaust with Arachno SoundFont)
- Rise of The Triad
- Wacky Wheels
- Hocus Pocus...
- LucasArts (Michael Z. Land, Peter McConnell, Clint Bajakian, Steven O'Brien, Robin Goldstein, Anthony White...):
- The Secret of Monkey Island
- Day of the Tentacle (listen to the Introduction - Opening Screen theme with Arachno SoundFont)
- Indiana Jones...
- Westwood Studios (Frank Klepacki):
- The Legend of Kyrandia, Book One (listen to Introduction / Speech of The Land / Outside Brandon's Home with Arachno SoundFont)
- The Legend of Kyrandia, Book Two: The Hand of Fate
- Lands of Lore
- Command and Conquer...
- Leisure Suit Larry
- King's Quest
- Space Quest
- Quest for Glory
- Police Quest...
- Descent (listen to Level 3: Lunar Military Base with Arachno SoundFont)
- Descent II
- Psygnosis (Tim Wright, Brian Johnston, Malc Jennings, Tony Williams...):
- Lemmings (listen to Lemmings Medley with Arachno SoundFont)
- Lemmings 2: The Tribes
- Get Medieval...
- Ultima series
- Wing Commander series
- Microsoft (Stephen Rippy, David Rippy, Kevin McMullan): Age of Empires
You'll find some other MIDI examples recorded with Arachno SoundFont in the MIDI Arrangements section, and hundreds of files are also included with Arachno SoundFont (original tracks, game and movie music) for demonstration purposes.
Discover what others are saying about Arachno SoundFont, and some audio tracks made by other artists with Arachno SoundFont!
Arachno SoundFont is a General MIDI-compliant bank of 128 instruments ("presets") and 9 GM/GS drumkits, aimed at enhancing the realism of your MIDI files and arrangements.
This bank includes many famous sounds from the best synthesizers by Roland (D-50, Sound Canvas...), Korg (M1, X5...), Yamaha (MU, Clavinova...), Fairlight (CMI), E-MU (Emulator), Ensoniq, and many others.
It's meant to be used with a SoundFont 2.x-compatible MIDI synthesizer.
You can find such synthesizers on the Sound Blaster line of soundcards (Live!/Audigy/X-Fi).
If you don't own any compatible soundcard, you can still use free software like SynthFont, BASSMIDI Driver, CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth, AIMP or VideoLAN VLC Media Player, which work with any audio device.
If you want to get more information about this sound bank, you can view the Online Arachno SoundFont Documentation. You'll find the complete list of all instruments available with their build process history, some information related to SoundFont use, and much more.